Are you the kind of person that thrives on leading a group of smart and highly intelligent individuals and helping them accomplish great things? ScribbleLive is looking for a true servant-leader to be our next Software Development Manager. This role is critical for the long-term success of ScribbleLive and will be leading the team that focuses on delivering a great product to our customers and to do everything necessary to achieve this. To do this you need to make sure the development team is able to work as efficiently as possible and this means making sure they have clear goals, both short term and long term, and that nothing prevents them from doing their work.
We need someone who working with the CTO and other engineering leaders can help create long-term objectives and prioritize multiple goals across the development of our product vision.
This individual will be highly energetic, a real cheerleader that supports and encourages the development team be excited about the work that they're doing and help the get across the finish line. You will lead a talented and nimble team of engineers, UX designers and other stakeholders.
A successful candidate will have an established background in developing software, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and be able to motivate a team to achieve results in a complex environment. You will run Scrum development teams, and will support multiple stakeholders. You will be a key player in driving strategic planning, project execution, development of engineering talent, and the ongoing operation and improvement of our platforms.
What you will do day-to-day
- As a Software Development Manager, you will provide strong technical leadership and career path guidance to our software engineers. Responsibilities include:
- Partner with team leaders to implement and support an innovative engineering structure focused on increased technical collaboration and efficiency
- Regular contact with software engineers to review engagement, team dynamics, learning and development, performance, and workload
- Coach and mentor software engineers of various experience and backgrounds, setting benchmarks for development of technical competencies, collaboration and teamwork, and role and career goals.
- Identify deficiencies in the collective technical expertise of the engineering department, then recommend and implement solutions
- Guide the establishment, implementation, and measurement of software engineering standards and best practices
- Facilitate learning through workshops, conferences, meetings, and team off-sites
- Contribute to building an environment where continuous learning and improvement of the engineering team is in focus
- Promote a strong engineering culture predicated on the ideals of ownership and accountability
- Work with other managers to recruit top talent.
- Set up performance goals for team members; evaluate performance; provide coaching and facilitate professional development.
- Develop leaders and highly functional teams.
- Role reports to the CTO
- Bachelor's Degree in technical field required or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of experience leading two or more development teams
- Strong understanding of engineering processes and best practices
- Solid understanding of software development life cycles, tools, and processes
- Experience of agile development (scrum preferred but not essential)
- Strong communication & presentation skills (verbal & written)
- Extremely detail-oriented and able to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong project management experience with multiple project streams and sometimes shifting priorities
- Ability to proactively solve data problems and provide actionable recommendations
- Strong technical and analytical skills